It's been really hard this year, with us not doing Santa. All A's friends do Santa, and he's been asking me more questions about why he doesn't come to our house. I try to answer him by pointing him back to Jesus, the real reason for the season. I've tried to explain that some people believe in Santa, and that's ok, but it's just a story for us. Anyways, the biggest fear of any parent not "doing Santa" came true tonight. We came to my parents' house to celebrate Christmas with my sister and nephew. Aiden, my nephew, was talking about what Santa was bringing him, and A looked at him and said seriously, "But you're forgetting one thing: Santa isn't real."
I guess we need to work on our sensitivity to others...
3 comments:
That is tough....we are doing Santa, but Santa will bring Hudson one gift on Christmas morning and in his stocking....he will get a few things on Christmas morning, but they will be from us...it is a hard call to make...we've just kinda looked at it like it's so magical and imaginative for kids and we believed so much as little ones, that want ours to experience that and have that special memory...but, we want to minimize his role in Christmas as well-- it's all tough, huh?
We don't do Santa either...maybe we should have our kids play more often! :)
We have never done Santa...I asked my 14 year old if she felt like she missed something and she said "not at all". We do play a game called the Santa game Christmas morning where I hide a couple of presents. I give the kids clues and they go find the gift using the clue. They love it and for the little ones when someone asks them what Santa brought them...they connect it with the game. We have never said that it was Santa who hid the gift and they don't think that..it just gives them a connection. It is a lot of fun and now a tradition in our house. ;-)
Post a Comment