Yesterday, I spent some time sorting out our mail that we had accumulated during our vacation, and was happy to find our quarterly Compassion newsletter. I prepared myself to be moved, as I always am when I read these, by this time I was moved to action. Inside the newletter, there was an article on how food prices are soaring globally, causing millions of African children to starve, as well as an article on how Indian female infants are needlessly aborted each year because of lack of resources for a dowry.
I sat back, and thought of the way that we had frivolously spent money at the beach. Never once in all of my frugal moments at Publix have I thought about how higher prices in my grocery store are affecting children half a world away. Selfish, self-centered me.
Convicted, I remembered Matthew 25:45 "'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for the least of these, you did not do for me.'" In that moment, I told Keith it was time for us to sponsor another Compassion child. Beyond that, I knew that I would take a moment to educate the readers of this blog about Compassion (hence, my time on this soapbox).
Compassion is a wonderful organization where for $32 a month, you can sponsor a child. With that small contribution, your child will be fed, educated about the world and Christ, and their family will be supported. This child is yours...your money alone is what provides this child with these opportunities. You will receive hand-written letters and pictures from your child, and you can easily write them in return. You can even go on a trip to visit them if you want! (Check out Shannon's experience from http://rocksinmydryer.typepad.com/)
You can be a one-time giver to one of their many wonderful funds (AIDS, global hunger, medical assistance, etc.), or you can be a sponsor. If you are interested, check out Compassion's site: http://compassion.com/.
3 comments:
I just sponsored my first kid last week! I can't believe how much I love her already and all I have is that first picture and information.
Thanks for encouraging your readers to take part!
Amber
Oh that sounds great! Brooke has been asking for another baby. I told her to pray about it. Maybe this is what God had in mind?
we a have a little girl we sponsor through compassion and it has been a huge blessing to be able to "give legs" to our lessons on biblical giving and taking care of the poor with the girls. we have a picture of her framed in our kitchen...
Post a Comment