Thursday, September 11, 2008

Picky eaters?

I'll confess that Andrew is our picky eater. I blame myself because of all the mac 'n cheese I let him eat those first few months of AC's life (I needed time to nurse her, and Cars and M&C accomplished that every time). I vowed that I wouldn't make those same mistakes with AC...yet, she's recently started to shrink her diet. She's always been my little moose - anything put in front of her is devoured - but now she turns away from most of her favorites (eggs, M&C, meat, etc.).

Am I the only one with picky children, and am I freaking out too much, too early? Maybe this is a phase, but I need to help usher these kiddos out of it.

I've tried to keep their food on the table, but each are strong-willed enough to resist all night, and then wake up starving in the morning. By then, I'm running super late for work, and don't have time to force them to eat leftovers for breakfast.

Any advice?

**UPDATE - Shortly after writing this post, my kids decided to join me in eating some kiwi. Maybe I'm making progress...

3 comments:

Becca Mae said...

One thing my mom and an old pediatrician friend told me is offer them the good food and if they won't eat it give them what they want. They will get tired of eating the same thing all the time eventually. If it is a major issue with you I say enforce it but if it isn't really that big a deal choose your battles. Maddie used to eat everything and now is very picky. She will eat some of the old things some times. I just don't worry about it any more. My mom said when I was around 2 I would eat nothing but french fries. This went on for 2 months. Finally I started eating everything else and wasn't picky anymore. To me it isn't worth the hassle or drama right now.

Unknown said...

Someone suggested to us once to make your children eat food they don't like in bites according to how old they are. (If the are 3, they have to eat 3 bites, 1 bite if they are 1).
This rule has REALLY helped us. Now they will try stuff they say they don't like because they know how many bites they have to eat.
Sounds crazy but it may be worth a try. I also agree that children have phases they go through. One minute all they will want is oatmeal, next min, they HATE it. Go figure.

Andrea said...

I've got nothin'

My girls just loves rolls and sugar!!